Travel information is currently disseminated to the public using venues such as Highway Advisory Radio, Dynamic Message Signs, and on other NCDOT services. The North Carolina 511 system is part of a nationwide effort to disseminate travel information to the public via another venue, the telephone. 511 in North Carolina was implemented in the summer of 2004.
511 uses an automated voice response system, which means callers are guided through a menu with a series of requests. Callers can ask for specific areas, and the system will provide information about traffic incidents, closures and other important roadway conditions.
Background on 511
In July of 2000, the Federal Communications Commission assigned 511 for nationwide access to travel information services. 511 is an abbreviated dialing code for travelers to access highway, multi-modal, and other pertinent travel information via landline or wireless phones. By collecting travel information, NCDOT is able to disseminate information to the public, the users of the NCDOT highway system, to assist in the safe and efficient movement of people and goods. By giving the public access to travel information like construction, incidents, traffic, and transit, the public can make educated decisions about travel times, routes, and modes.
Types of Information Available
- Traffic incidents and major closures on Interstates, US Routes, and State Routes in NC - Weather conditions statewide - Road construction and planned road construction on Interstates, US Routes, and States Routes in NC - Amber Alerts - Links to neighboring states 511 Systems
How to use 511
1.) Dial 511 from any phone
2.) The North Carolina 511 system uses voice activated and touch tone technology. When you dial, the system will greet you and present you with the option of listening to any urgent messages. From there you will be prompted with a menu of options:
- For Highways, say "Highways" or press 1
- For Public Transportation, say "Public Transportation" or press 2 - For Weather, say "Weather" or press 3
- For Other Services, say "Other Services" or press 4
- For Other States 511, say "Other States" or press 5
3. At any time you can dial "88" or "77" to switch from voice to Touch Tone
4.) Say "Main Menu" or "Help" to return to the original options on the Main Menu
5.) Once you hear the option you wish, say it and follow the next menu
East Carolina Dune Buggies/eastcoastdunebuggies.com is in no way representing or affiliated with Volkswagen of America, or Volkswagen of Germany. Volkswagen, VW, and the VW logo are Trademarks of and owned by Volkswagen of America and Volkswagen AG.